BAM Family

BAM Family

Labels

Monday, March 7, 2011

Menu Monday + Shrimp and Grits recipe

Menu: March 5-11

Pretty Simple this week. I am recycling some meals from last week and we are eating out a few times due to our schedule. Hope you enjoy the recipes though! :)

Saturday: Birthday Party (dinner at friends)
Sunday: Leftovers and Sandwiches (Micah wanted oatmeal. Okey-dokey, son!)
Monday: Spinach Lasagna Rolls, Cesar salad (didn't end up having this last week)
Tuesday: Dinner Out
Wednesday: Chicken, rice, carrots/green beans
Thursday: Shepherd’s Pie (One of our family favs. Look for Recipe in a new post!!!)
Friday: Shrimp and Cheese grits (Recipe below), Steamed Broccoli

Shrimp and Grits
Recipe courtesy Martha Nesbit via Food Network.com

Ingredients:

4 cups water
Salt and pepper
1 cup stone-ground grits
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 slices bacon, chopped
4 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 cup thinly sliced scallions
1 large clove garlic, minced

Directions:

Bring water to a boil. Add salt and pepper. Add grits and cook until water is absorbed, about 20 to 25 minutes (I always use the 5 minute grits). Remove from heat and stir in butter and cheese.

Rinse shrimp and pat dry. Fry the bacon in a large skillet until browned; drain well. In grease, add shrimp. Cook until shrimp turn pink.

Add lemon juice, chopped bacon, parsley, scallions and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes.

Spoon grits into a serving bowl. Add shrimp mixture and mix well. Serve immediately.

Note: This is the original recipe but I usually tweak it a bit to make it a little healthier. We like a mixture of 2% velveeda and cheddar cheese for the grits and only add 1 TBS of butter; I usually only use 4-5 piece of bacon (but knock yourself out if you are a bacon fanatic!); I also drain out most of the grease before I put the shrimp in. I cut the lemon juice to 1 TBS; and one CUP of scallions (green onions)? Seriously? I use about 1/2 cup. Oh and I use 2 cloves of garlic because I. love. garlic. period. :D

2 comments:

Debbie said...

So what does breakfast and lunch look like for you day-to-day? I find that when I go to the store, I tend to not have planned enough for those meals.

Brittany said...

Debbie,

We do a lot of scrambled eggs here. I buy the 18 pack of eggs every week and we usually eat them all (of course some go into dinners or desserts too). I also buy yogurt and cereal every week (Aaron eats cereal every morning).

Benji's favorite breakfast is eggs while Micah likes instant oatmeal.

Today we had a special breakfast: cinnamon rolls and vanilla yogurt topped with fresh strawberries (cinnamon rolls were on sale this week at Kroger!)

I also usually buy one breakfast meat a week, either one lb of sausage (not links) or a pound of bacon. Usually the breakfast meat will find its way into a dinner or two as well as a few breakfasts. This week I got bacon (buy one get one free at Kroger!)

I always do fruit for breakfast (banana, strawberries, apple sauce) and sometimes just pair it with toast and jam (we are eating 2-3 loaves of bread a week with the bread we eat for breakfast and lunch!)

Lunch is usually sandwiches for the menfolk--pbj, grilled cheese, turkey or tuna. I occasionally eat sandwiches; usually it is leftovers or soup for me. For lunch sides it is more fruit (sometimes raw veggies like carrots or broccoli) and chips, crackers, etc. And usually our dessert for the day is after lunch.

Hope that gives you some ideas!!

Like this? Share it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...