BAM Family

BAM Family

Labels

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Fajita Casserole

I had this on our menu last week and I wanted to post the recipe--but I hadn't made it yet. Yep, this is a made- up recipe. And it turned out pretty well. It needed a few tweaks so hopefully THIS version is a little tastier than the one we ate on Thursday.

NOTE: this is NOT an exact measurement recipes...::confession:: I rarely measure anything when I cook. So, use your cooking preferences if you would like to try this recipe.

Ingredients:
2 medium chicken breasts, cut into small bites (I did smallish rectangle like pieces)
Green Pepper, large dice
Red Pepper, large dice
Onion, large dice
Minced Garlic
Olive Oil
1 can refried beans
Mexican blend cheese (or other fav cheese!)
Flour Tortillas, taco size (I actually used burrito size; I cut them in 4th and layered them in so they fit in my round casserole dish)

The Spices! (You could always use a packet of Fajita seasoning. I make my own seasoning mix because the packaged kind doesn't agree with Aaron's stomach)

Salt (generous amount = 6-10 shakes)
Onion Powder (generous amount)
Garlic Powder (generous amount)
Chili Powder (generous amount)
Cumin (medium amount)
Sugar (sprinkle)
Oregano (smidge--I little goes a long way in this recipe...but don't leave it out!)
Cayenne Pepper (as much as your taste buds like!)
Corn Starch (ok, not a spice but still needed)

Preheat large skillet over medium-high with 1-2 tbs of olive oil. Add chicken. Enjoy the loud sizzle. Add spices (minus corn starch) and stir chicken. Cook for 3-4 minutes (I like to undercook the chicken here because it will cook some more in the oven). Remove chicken from skillet.

Add 1 more tbs of olive oil. Add peppers and onions. Season with salt, pepper, and a little bit of chili powder. Saute until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic in the last minute of cooking.

Stir 1 tsp corn starch to 1/2 cup of water. Add chicken back into skillet and add cornstarch mixture. Stir and cook until bubbly and thickened. Remove from heat.

Empty refried beans into large bowl. Add 1/4-1/2 cup water to loosen them up (I actually microwaved them for 1-2 minutes to make them easier to spread). Add chili powder, cayenne, garlic powder and onion powder to taste.

Spread a small scoop of beans around the bottom of a 2- 2 1/2 quart round casserole dish. Add a tortilla. Layer beans, chicken/peppers, and cheese. Add another tortilla and repeat. I think I did 3 tortilla layers. I ended with a cheese layer on the top.

I made my casserole early in the day and refrigerated it at this point. At dinner time, pop it in a 375 degree oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until hot and cheese is bubbly and slightly brown.

Serve with sour cream.

Whew! that was a long recipe! This is a little labor-intensive (even for me...and I love to cook!) but it is really yummy! It is even better leftover (if your family leaves any that is!)

Enjoy!

Like this? Share it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...